Automate Your Design Process : BOM’s
Inaccuracies in a Bill Of Materials lead to problems. If the wrong parts or wrong quantities of parts are ordered, a company will not be able to build enough product, or any product at all.
If a departments resources are already stretched thin this can mean cleaning up mistakes is a hassle and a waste of money. Errors in BOM’s mainly come from 3 different categories:
Incomplete data is the most common BOM issue, this includes vital information such as quantity, part descriptions and approved manufacturers list (AML’s).
Some information in a Bill of Materials can conflict with information provided in drawings or design files. Quantities may not match, there may be 5 locations for a component but the BOM specifies 4. The format of the BOM is another source of inconsistency, they can look different even though they are for the same customer making it difficult to match up data.
Wrong data is a serious problem and can cause serious consequences. Wrong part numbers, bad descriptions and invalid supplier information fixing these errors can be a time consuming task.
However if you automate the BOM process with 3D CAD you can save yourself time, money and stop mistakes from ever happening.
Video: Automatic Bill of Materials and Tables
SOLIDWORKS creates a bill of materials (BOM) and cut lists for downstream purchasing and manufacturing operations. The BOM is always up to date, so you never have to worry about manually updating it. SOLIDWORKS BOM capabilities and features include:
- Automatic bill of materials (BOM) creation that updates automatically whenever design changes occur
- Automatic balloon noting of exploded views on drawings that update automatically whenever design changes occur
- Multiple BOM templates to customize the BOM to present needed information
- Standard, top-level, or indented BOMs
Plus, the ability to:
- Automatically update BOM and cut lists when the model changes
- Include BOM templates inside SOLIDWORKS drawing templates to speed drawing development
- Display BOM information on your 2D drawing or directly in your 3D assembly model
- Output BOM information as a Microsoft® Excel® file or a format ready for import into MRP/ERP systems
- Manage BOM data directly in SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional to track and maintain all data