- The first step is to mate the assembly up as required. Some of these mates must be those supported by mate controller – i.e. those you can amend the value of. For example, for one part a 0° angle mate has been used instead of a parallel mate. This allows for the control of the part’s orientation.
- Open Mate Controller. Insert > Mate controller. This will then bring the property manager up on the left-hand side.
- For Mates in the Property Manager you can either populate this manually if there are more mates than required, or choose Collect all Supported Mates. This will add all mates eligible to be used in the Mate controller into the blue box.
- Once all of the useable mates have been collected, the values at each position must be defined. By default, only Position 1 has been added.
- Once defined, a second position can be added. Selecting Add Position adds Position 2 within the Mate Controller drop down. The values of Position 2 are now defined. The movements are created by amending the values of the mates to change the positions of the parts. The parts in the graphics area will illustrate their new positions.
Note: Each time a mate value has been adjusted, its position needs to be updated using Update Position. The change will then be applied and a new preview will show in the graphics window.
- Repeat these steps until all key positions are defined. The images below show the next key positions within the sequence. In this sequence, there are 7 positions in total.
- Once the positions are defined, an animation can be viewed. Choose Calculate Animation. This will play an animation of the sequence in the graphics area. The selection of them all is defined by default. Alternatively, a selection of positions can be chosen. This can be saved if needed.
Additionally, these Mate Controller positions can be used to create animations within Motion Studies.
- At the bottom of the graphics area, choose a Motion Studies tab.
- Choose Animation as the type of study.
- Click Animation Wizard.
- Follow the dialog box through the steps. Select Mate Controller > Next > Key points (Import Type) > Next > Duration and Start Time (recommended to leave as defaults) > Finish.
- Click Calculate to view the animation.
Note: This Motion Studies animation can then be easily exported into Visualize.